The Cremorne hotel was a popular southerner’s stop for those travelling to and from Adelaide, it was also a venue for public meetings notices and elections. As it had a way bridge, teamsters would stop with their loads of timber and stone. Open in 1854 the older building was located behind the present 1925 structure. The hotel had a sizable garden the first publican Thomas Bentley filled with many native animals. This small zoo contained fish, birds and even an elephant.